As we settle back into a new school year one of our favorite things to do is nature journal. If you don't know what nature journaling is, simply put it is writing down and drawing your observations of the natural world around you.
Not only is nature journaling a great excuse to get the kids out of the house but it has so many facets of learning involved.
1. Getting outdoors
2. Learning about the natural environment where we live
3. Being observant more than we usually would
4. Using art to document and draw what we see
5. Incorporating, art,science, physical ed., writing, biology, spelling and creativity.
Nature journaling is by far our favorite subject as homeschoolers! Not only do my kids enjoy it but I do as well! I love being able to do join in with them in my own nature journal. I am learning right alongside them!
Sometimes we will take our nature journals with us and record what we are seeing and other times we will bring a plant or picture back home to study in more detail, or we will look up what we saw online or in a book if we didn't know what it was and study it more in depth. Some of our favorite places to go are to our local parks, nature trails, beaches, county parks, and right in our back yard! We live in the city but even so there is so much nature all around us!
My kids love anything to do with animals and nature so they are always interested in learning about a new creature or plant. So far we have done nature studies and journaling about sharks(we found shark teeth), butterflies, turtles, snakes, bees, native florida plants and whatever else we discover on our walks or studies. I have to admit that my children are naturally gifted artists.( No, really they are;) So I can't take any credit for their beautiful journals. I learn so much from them!
I am so excited to be joining the IHN back to school GIVEAWAY to give you everything you need to do your own nature journaling with your children!!! YAY!!!
I know I can always use some extra motivation to get me excited about getting back to school with my children and nature journaling is one of those things that really excites me. I hope you will get excited by it as well!!
Included in this giveaway is:
1. Nature Anatomy
A beautifully illustrated book of everything you need to know about that you would encounter in nature!!
2. Artist Loft Art Journal with plenty of pages to waiting to be filled!
3. Winsor and Newton Cotman Water Color Sketchers Pocket Box. This is a top of the line watercolor kit that includes 12 colours, mixing palette and brush.
4. 12 Colored Pencils
5. Vintage Golden Nature Guides to Mammals and Trees
6. An original watercolor picture of our native Florida Mockingbird by my talented son Israel to give you some extra inspiration:)!
7. Plus a $25 gift card to Joann Fabrics for any more journaling supplies that you might need!!
This basket is worth over a total of $75!!!
Get your school year started right by entering this amazing giveaway to give you everything you need to start you and your children's own nature journals!!
Not only am I giving away this great basket but there are a ton other back to school basket giveaways for you to enter in the link below!! So be sure to check them out also and get excited to get back to school!!
Congratulations to Katie L.!!! Thanks to all who entered!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Sorry only open to US residents due to shipping costs.
Make sure to check out 52 other awesome gift baskets from ihomeschool network! You can click on picture to take you to all the other giveaways!