I have always thought it is the simple down home desserts that are the best. You really can't go wrong with this sweet bed of goodness!
1. slice up your strawberry's about 4 cups or depending on how many you are serving.
2. mix with 1 cup of sugar and let them macerate.
3.while the strawberries are getting all nice and sweet start making your shortcake.
4. Any biscuit recipe is usually good, here is what I use:
Preheat oven to *475
2 cups of flour( I use a soft white/wheat flour that I mill)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cold butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
I like to mix it together with my hands until the texture is crumbly.
Then add the wet ingredients, it should be moist and sticky
7. You can flour a board and rolling pin and roll them out to a bout 11/2 in and cut out with a cup or biscuit cutter, or you can flour your hands and form them by hand like I did
|it should make about 6|
9. If you are going to make your own strawberry shortcake then you have to make your own whip cream.. its so good!
Pour 1 cup of whipping cream in a medium bowl, whip till light and fluffy, add 2-3 Tbs of sugar depending on your preference...yum!
10. Now you are ready to construct your perfect little cake
put half of the shortcake on a plate or bowl, pile on the strawberries and let the juice sink into the cake, then put a big dollop of whip cream and top with other half of the cake...mmm...dig in!